Monday, August 4, 2014

Yr 2, Week 19: They Both have Baptismal Dates for the 31st of August

Dear Family and Friends,

This week has been a good one! Elder Thomas and I have been working really hard and we've had quite a bit of success as well as disappointments. However, one of the things that I love about being with Elder Thomas is how light-hearted we can still be during discouraging moments. Even when an investigator drops us and we're feeling down, we are still joking around and helping each other stay excited and happy! :) It's really fun!

One of the really lame things that happened this week was when I went on divisions. Elder Milla and I, along with a youth from the ward, were out contacting and as we passed a little shop a man said hi and asked us how we were. We quickly began to talk to him and I was asking him some questions to find out a little bit about his beliefs when all of the sudden he began to chastise me for not treating him with respect. He asked me how old I was and when I told him he old me his age and told me that I need to be more respectful because he knows more than I do. I tried to explain myself a little bit and try to mend the misunderstanding but then he began to say that we are wrong, that we don't know what we're talking about, etc. It was really surprising. I finished up by sharing my testimony but as I started he just began to shake his head in disagreement and quote scriptures to tell me why we needed to study more and then we would see how foolish we were in believing that stuff. We walked away with a pretty bitter taste in our mouths but we knew what we were trying to do and what we were saying was true, so it didn't matter much. 

However, divisions was really fun because I got to know Elder Milla better. He is from Lima, Peru and we got along great. We also made a queque for the FHE we had and it was really fun. We've never made one before but the first try turned out really well. All of the less-actives in the FHE couldn't believe that we made it...good thing we took photos so that we had physical evidence, huh? :)

So we had some really good experiences this week with some investigators. Our investigator J.A. was doing really well. We explained a lot about the BofM and he committed to reading every night before bed. It was awesome and we set a baptismal date with him for the 31st of August. However, he didn't gt to church on Sunday and later that evening he gave us a call saying he wasn't going to be able to receive us in his home anymore. He said he had work obligations. We don't know too much but we are going to talk with him later on and find out more. We worked a little bit with J. this week and C. They both have baptismal dates for the 31st of August and they are progressing nicely. C. really wants to be baptized and hopefully everything works out so that he'll be prepared enough to make that day! Our other investigator family, J and I are doing well. They are still unsure about if the church is true. J is pretty sure, he wants to be more sure, but he believes the church is true. I. however is really hard. She wants to be 100% sure and it's hurting her progress a bit. Anyways, we're still figuring it out a little bit so we'll see. They are doing good, however. 

Last night I tried to teach Elder Thomas how to do the Rubiks cube...hahaha! He was so tired so everything I told him to do he did the opposite, haha! It was really, really funny! :D He's a really good companion!

Well that's all folks; I'll write more about my companion and his weird habits next week ;)

Love you all, Elder Bushman
 
(You'd think he never made a cake before...)
 












 
"A missionary's spiritual preparation will be strengthened by better family home evenings, by improved teaching in the Aaronic Priesthood and auxiliary organizations, by attendance at seminary and institute, by going to the temple to be baptized in behalf of the dead, by encouragement to read the Book of Mormon." - Gordon B. Hinckley

No comments:

Post a Comment